Monday, January 28, 2013

Litany Poem for my mommy


You are the protector and the rock,
the strength and shoulder.
You are the love
and the faith.
You are the poise,
and the patience.

However you are not forgotten,
angry,
or bitter.
And you are certainly not shy.
There is just no way that you are lazy.

It is possible that you are perfect,
maybe even an angel,
but you are not even close
to being self-absorbed.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither empty
nor alone.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I adore you with all my heart.

I also happen to be blessed,
happy,
And thankful for you.

I am also the one you raised,
and the baby.
But don’t worry I am not the terror and the pain I once was.
You are still the caregiver and the homemaker,
not to mention the beauty and-somehow- the ambition. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aaron. Mainly I'd draw your attention to the major difference between your imitation and the Billy Collins version. Notice how you have not imitated all of the comparisons. In fact, "rock" is really the only bit of figurative language (metaphor) you use, whereas the Collins poem is stuffed with them. I'd love to get a sense of your mother and your relationship with her via those comparisons, rather than these abstractions.

    ReplyDelete