Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ode to Baseball


Ode to Baseball

I’m a young
boy
thrilled to play,
simply for the love of the game.

The spring day
air
is crisp and clean,
an irreplaceable feeling.

I hope to make
my
Father proud,
as he watches from the crowd.

Up to bat
three
chances that’s it,
time to show ‘em what I got.

Sun beating down
sweat
drips from my forehead,
while I take my stance at the plate.

The crack of the
bat
a sweet sound,
it’s a double or more.

Victory is ours
now
we’ve won the big dance,
something exceptional I will never forget.





4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I can relate to this ode because I love everything there is to do with playing baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've found the power of the short line. It's powerful that "sweat" is on a line of its own. If you read only those one-word lines, you get a short version of the most important parts of the poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really great. I felt like I could really hear the bat crack and the feeling of victory. Great job!(:

    ReplyDelete